Monday, April 02, 2007

I'm putting off procrastinating till later...

Have finished the back of the cable jersey, and am about 3 cm off finishing the garter stitch one. Of course I shouldn't actually be knitting, or blogging, at the moment. What I should be doing is writing 2000 words on the ways in which Maori demonstrated their understanding of the Treaty of Waitangi in the period 1840 to 1872, and the ways in which the government accepted or refuted those understandings. Or something like that. I (foolishly?) decided to return to university part-time this year to complete my i n t e r m i n a b l e bachelor of arts (begun in 1990). Studying with small children around is harder than knitting with small children around I have to say!
Katie (4) is very intrigued by my being back at school. She suggested that I take something I'd knitted and stand up at the front of the class and show everyone. I like this idea - could I hand in a cabled jersey in place of an essay? Could we call it a post-modern interdisciplinary interpretation of the question? With the separate strands of wool represented the separate discourses that developed around the Treaty, and the cables representing the ways in which those disparate discourses came together before moving apart again? And the rows representing movement over time? And the bit I buggered up and cabled the wrong way could be a visual and tactile representation of the hostilities that arose when the differing interpretations of the Treaty clashed. It's tempting but I don't know that my tutor would buy it...

No comments: