Friday, April 13, 2007

Books books books

Went to the library to look for books on the Muriwhenua treaty claim and came home with three knitting books, as you do. It's this terrible innumeracy I suffer from - I set out to find the 993s, get confused, and find myself surrounded by 746s. Damn that Dewey!
Having not finished either sweater yet, I am, of course, thinking about my next five projects. (This always happens: halfway up the back of a jersey I get this ok-I'm-so-over-this-one feeling and have to force myself not to begin yet another. Does everyone do this?) One of the books I found is so good that I may have to buy it... Hand Knitting: New Directions by Alison Ellen, who you can find here. Gorgeous gorgeous book with a fascinating potted history of knitting and fabulous clear instructions for all kinds of interesting techniques.
The second book I brought home because it had very clear instructions for doing a crocheted edge on a knitted garment, which is something I'm thinking about for one of my next things. Apart from that, all I can say about Clever Knits by Kristine Clever is that she should be very very very glad that YouKnitWhat.com is no longer adding new items. I joke about punishing my children with hand knits (although the purple, lime green and pink feather and fan jumper I made for Jess really was against the Geneva Convention) but this woman!!! Her poor children not only have to wear these sweaters but she's published pictures of them wearing them in a book!!!!! Years and years of therapy ahead...
The other book was the Readers Digest Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches which means poor old Jess may get a sweater that combines 47 different stitches, cables and colours. It'll have to be Jess, because Katie is now old enough to fight back dammit.

No comments: