Monday, April 23, 2007

Another day another collar

It's a happy day!

The collar doesn't look as bad as I thought and Katie is thrilled to bits with the whole sweater which is the important thing. I did cast off about forty rows too soon - which means that there aren't enough short rows to make a nice shape at the front, but there aren't so many rows that the sweater eats her head.




Having sorted that I went back to the purple garter stitch one. Here's what knitting with kids is like: Both of these sweaters used 4mm needles and luckily I have two pairs. At some point however, one of the kids swiped one needle and it hasn't been seen since. I think it's probably in their room somewhere but looking for a needle in there is like looking for, well, a needle in a haystack. There could be another child living in that tip and I wouldn't know! [I consider my role in life is to make other mothers feel good about their standards of housework - everyone I know can comfortably look at their houses and say, 'Well, at least it's not as bad as Rachel's!'] So I had the pink sweater on one needle, the purple sweater on one needle, and a third needle, which I guarded jealously, which I alternated between the two. But of course when you're doing short rows, you never reach the end of a row, so I had to finish the pink collar before I could go back to the purple one! (Which might partly explain casting off so soon!)
Anyway, the purple one, with its cowl neck, is now finished but the camera has run out of batteries. C'est la vie. I have enough of each yarn to make matching hats so that's the next project.

Now I have to go and eat chicken biryani - my lovely Bangladeshi friend Asma came over yesterday with a HUGE pot and we'll be living off it for a week.

No comments: