Saturday, June 09, 2007

When children meet lip gloss


Aren't they just...

I don't even wear makeup (apart from concealer generously applied to the full set of matched luggage that turns up under my eyes many many mornings) and yet Katie has developed an obsession with lipgloss and nail polish and who knows what else. I think she gets it from other kids at kindy.
A while ago - back when K was only three - our teenaged next-door-neighbour gave me a bag of lip gloss, stick on tattoos, eye shadow etc for Katie. I said thank you nicely and hid it at the back of a drawer and went and had a quiet rant about the premature sexualisation of girls, the anti-feminist marketing practices of cosmetic companies - the usual stuff, I'm betting I even threw in the word patriarchy - and then I forgot about it. Well look who found it! And I have to say it made me giggle a lot - but oh what this society does to little girls. So long as they keep thinking that the nose is a great place for lip gloss I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist though!

On a completely unrelated topic... I finally found the blog of the one and only person who ever commented here and I think I'm in love - go read Mad Hair Day because I said so (it's the mother in me - I can't help it). On one of her wonderful posts she wrote:

I write a post for this blog every day, you know. In my head while I'm in the shower I compose great reams of waffle and you can all be awfully glad that I am blessed with an appalling memory and absolutely no free time in which to write it all down.

Which is exactly what I do. Only I do it on the bus and sometimes it doesn't stay just in my head and people look at me strangely...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You quoted me! Nobody has ever quoted me before! I'm so flattered!

How is the degree coming along? I went to Uni as a mature student too, I was newly single with a toddler. I remember mostly the sleepless nights, endless essays and the memorable occasion when I had to tell my tutor that the baby ate my homework.

Rachel said...

The degree moves slooooooowly. I'm only doing one paper (to ease my way back in) and it's gone well - although the exam is on Friday and I haven't really done any studying. How amazingly strong and brave to do it when newly single with a toddler!
And of course, I quoted your blog - it's wonderful. You keep writing things that I think you must have stolen out of my head :-)
Although it's all a little spooky... I've been reading bits and pieces of your blog in between wrangling the girls, and I got divorced about when you did, and I spent quite a bit of my childhood in HK, and we both live here... de da de da (that is supposed to represent Twilight Zone music)...
I have to read more in search of additional synchronicity!
Hope you're all well now!