Sunday, June 24, 2007

Smug mode on

So Monday morning I was a little bored and I picked up the cursed double point needles and figured I'd give it yet another try. And voila...

My first ever sock! It's not a great sock - in fact it's a lumpy, bumpy, and very stumpy sock, but it's a sock! I had to do a little sock achievement dance with the girls, and we all sang 'Mummy can knit socks'. Well, Jess just shouted 'Mama! Sock!' but the thought was there. My partner pointed out that, strictly speaking, I can knit sock and until I do another I can't have that final 's'. Of course, he's right, but I'm not sure that this poor sock will ever get a mate. I figured there was no point in spending hours knitting the leg until I knew whether or not the whole heel thing would work - which is why it's so short. And do I really want a pair of stumpy socks? I may just keep this one as the Lone Sock and start a proper pair. Of course the girls are demanding socks of their own now, so it may be a while before I get to knit some for me.

I finished the neckwarmer (photo eventually - Jess took it away somewhere) and liked it so much that I knit another...

This one is in Cleckheaton's Vintage Hues which is my new favourite wool - I just love the colours. And I love the whole concept of neckwarmers I have to say. Way faster than a scarf, so I don't get bored, way less wool than a scarf, so I can afford to knit with nicer stuff than I would usually. And this one I liked so much I even blocked it! Wonders will never cease! I'm knitting a third one now - not in feather and fan this time - in some fluffy stuff I found on top of the bookshelf. I'm not sure what it is, but I have a feeling there's another ball in my glovebox which might have the band still on it. (Hey, I have small children - I stash my wool anywhere they can't get it!)

The baby thing is proceeding sloooooowly - I'm not sure if I like it or not so I'm not putting much effort in because it may yet get unravelled and changed into something else.

And now it's time to face the laundry mountain... We have a friend arriving to stay on Tuesday and I'm not even sure that there is a bed in the spare room because the laundry may well have eaten it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the sock! It looks fabulous (my first sock looked extremely deformed) but your's looks great! Now you've got the hang of dpns and socks you'll be wanting to start collecting sock yarn.... you might want to start building a shed about now. You're going to need some more places to store the yarn!

ra said...

now then, dunno what you call them there but here in the UK we call them "trainer socks" not "stumpy" and people pay money for them.
Go for the pair.

My first socks would have fit a camel they were so large. Do not despair, yours look great!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the sock!!!

Rachel said...

You lot are all so nice - my sock and I thank you!
I have just started the second sock - it turns out my stumpy sock is really really comfortable so I decided I do want a pair! Wish me luck!