Sunday, June 10, 2007

My doppelganger

Too weird….

I’ve been reading back through Mad Hair Day and growing increasingly weirded out by the things I have in common with the writer…

  • We are both in New Zealand (ok, not so weird – with 4 million people and 40 million sheep you expect a few knitters)
  • We are both 38
  • Her birthday is 13 December; mine is 30 December
  • We are both once divorced
  • We have both been with our current partners for ten years
  • We both have two young daughters
  • We both have one brother, and two sisters (OK, I’m guessing – she may have more than two)
  • We both went to school in Hong Kong
  • We are both unabashed feminists
  • We seem to have read many of the same books (I got the quote from Swallows and Amazons) – ok, not weird, but nice – I like it when people read the same stuff I do.


Oooh! Spooky huh!

Of course there are probably an equal number of things we don’t have in common – not least of which is that she is a superwoman who works full-time while being a mother to three children and she spins, weaves, knits and cooks, and she can do the whole dpn thing and make socks; while I am a full-time stay at home mum who can’t work up the energy to get off the sofa and do housework ever, and I still believe dpns are the devil’s work. It’ll probably turn out that we sat next to each other in upper 5 at Glenealy Primary School… (We didn’t did we?)

Okay, now I promise I won't even mention her blog again for at least a month, because, you know, I don't want to come across like some kind of obsessive stalker and scare the poor woman to pieces!

On the knitting front... I finished the front and back of the green jersey for the little one, and I've done one sleeve. And I now have SO MUCH RESPECT for people who write knitting patterns - I've been trying to type it all nicely as I go along and it's a chore people. I've written the whole front, and I thought I'd written the back, and then I realised I'd written half of it backwards (or something) and I need to sit down and look at it compared to the actual back. I started writing the sleeve pattern, and then changed my mind about what I was doing, and now I feel like writing: 'it's a sleeve for god's sake - just knit the damn thing so it looks like this one'. I don't know that this is quite what people expect in a pattern though. And boy, do I understand the whole 'work increases while keeping the pattern consistent' thing - if I ever do write the sleeve up that's the cop out I'm going to use!

I did some other knitting in between but I just frogged the whole lot and it's too depressing to write about. I'll try, try and try again :-)

And tell me, is it actually illegal to sell your children on trademe or ebay? Or is it just frowned upon?



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope, not Glenealy Primary School. I went to Kennedy Road Junior (back when it was in Kennedy Road - so you were close). Did you go to secondary school there too? I did one year at HKIS before moving to KGV.

And I'm not exactly a superwoman - I'm more like the comedy sidekick as I'm ludicrously clumsy and dangerously scatterbrained.

And I farm out my housework to the wonderful Heather (who walks upon water) and her equally fabulous friend Sue who does my ironing.

And my children eat a lot of toast for supper.

I haven't had a manicure in years, I never remember to pluck my eyebrow and knowing the words to all the Wiggles' songs is as close I get to anything 'cultural' (unless you count the thing that is growing in the back of my fridge)

Show us some progress pics of the pattern you are drafting!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I HATE dpns! It's magic loop all the way. I keep trying to knit with the dpns because I hate admitting defeat but I seem to have too many fingers and the needles drop out or get tangled or I poke myself with them.

Let me know if they let you list the kids on TradeMe. I've got three going cheap to a good home - we'll flood the market.

Rachel said...

I can't use a circular needle, let alone do a magic loop, I've never had a manicure, I've never plucked my eyebrows, I can do the Hooley Dooleys as well as the Wiggles and my kids think toast is a LUXURY. :-) Now we have to stop before we start the whole there were a hundred and fifty of us living int shoebox in middle of road routine!

My apologies for calling you a superwoman! :-)

Anonymous said...

A shoebox?!

You had a shoebox?

You were lucky!

Bit of old newspaper was wot we had. And thought ourselves lucky...

Rachel said...

And you tell that to the young people today...

He he he