Saturday, August 02, 2008

This is getting silly...

Honestly - I should rename this blog 'the monthly excuse'.
I was all geared up to post on the 14th of July - because I finished a sleeveless pullover the day before (having started it on the 4th of July - ooooh - just occurred to me that it was knitted between American Independence Day and Bastille Day, and since it was done on circulars it should really be called the Revolutionary Pullover. He he he. Jeez that was bad - forgive me: I'm very tired!)
Where was I? Oh yes - so there was I all set to post, having wrested control of the computer from the children, when Jess announced she'd put a bead up her nose. She didn't, of course, announce this to me - she waited until I let her have five minutes on the phone to my sister, and then told her. So we dropped the phone, grabbed the keys and hot-footed it down to the local emergency clinic, where a very nice doctor removed a shiny pink bead from her left nostril. I gave her a good telling off - no so much about the bead per se, but about being so unoriginal - a three year old sticking a bead up her nose is such a cliche!
And since then I've either been too tired, too busy or too far down the queue to be able to get on the computer and post. Jess has discovered the joys of the computer, and if she's not fighting Katie for a turn, they're both fighting their father for a go. And I get to sit and knit, which is nice.
So the pullover...
First the good stuff: I adore adore adore the wool I used - Cleckheaton Vintage Hues (which I vaguely recall raving about the last time I used it [yes I did - here].) And the colours are fabulous - all 1970s oranges and yellows and greens. And I'm ever so proud of myself, because it's the first garment I've knitted entirely on circular needles, the first V-neck I've ever done, and I didn't have a pattern.
The bad news is that I got the tension wrong and it's wider than it was supposed to be - so it sort of sits out around the hips. And then of course the biggie - variegated wool knitted in the round makes stripes and when you divide at the armholes the stripes get wider. I knew that, really. But when I first put it on I was a little taken aback at quite how desperately unflattering it is. The combination of wide horizontal stripes, bulky wool, and one narrow stripe that somehow appeared right in the middle makes my bosom look huger and droopier than ever. So attractive.
Good job really that I don't much care! It's lovely and cosy and warm and I've been wearing it quite happily - I just avoid mirrors while I've got it on.

In other knitting news I started a cardigan for Jess on Monday and finished it today - six days! Yay for huge needles! I say finished, although it hasn't yet got buttons, but I don't have any buttons to sew on and I figure since I still haven't done the buttons on the Sunrise thing...

It's based on Elizabeth Zimmerman's seamless yoke sweater - and it fits beautifully. And I'm three quarters of the way through a jumper for Katie (again EZ's seamless sweater) but that's on 4mm needles so it'll take a little longer.
And now I'm off to bed... Back in September I guess! :)

No comments: