Sunday, August 03, 2008

Look

I just found a photo that the lovely Tracey from Knit Rangers had posted on flickr - this is me knitting the orange thing at a Knit Rangers meeting:Apart from showing the glorious orangeness of the orange thing, this photo also shows my lovely new spectacles. I first got glasses when I was eleven, and I wore them off and on through my teenage years, but I stopped wearing glasses over twenty years ago. Then at the beginning of July, I trundled off to the optometrist and had my eyes checked - and I now have to wear glasses all the time (which will make the roads of Auckland a damn sight safer for everyone else!).
So there I am, all excited about my new specs, and about how clear everything looks, and do you know? Not one person aside from my immediate family has even noticed??? The other day I commented on a customer's new hair cut and colour, and she was thrilled because no-one else had mentioned it, and I'm sitting there thinking, "I noticed your hair cut because of my new GLASSES. If I wasn't wearing GLASSES I wouldn't have noticed!" but nothing, not a sausage.
I said to my partner, "Maybe it's because people just expect middle-aged women to wear glasses." Which made him go white, and mutter 'middle-aged??????'. Then he had to race off and look at sports cars on trademe until he felt better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha - what is it about men & middle-aged that scares them?! The main thing is YOU like them and can see better.

Unknown said...

i loved them but failed to get my brain in gear enough to say anything. You look so bookish. :-)

Anonymous said...

That really made me laugh! My bloke is the same, he just found out this week that HE needs glasses because he can't hold the book any further away without using a peg on a stick.

He's looking at motorcycles right now. And I think I shall buy him a toupee for Christmas.