Monday, June 19, 2006

Baby talk

Jessie, the one year old, has been very vocal lately. We had a spell of 'blah' being the favourite sound which was like living with the radio permanently tuned to parliament; endless streams of 'blah blah blah' interspersed with bouts of shouting. Her latest noise is 'lodle-odle-lo' so Katie (the 3 and a half year old) and I have taken to singing 'High on a hill was a lonely goatherd...', cue 'lodle-odle-lo-odle-o' from Jess.
Katie is also very vocal - constantly. And you know, I have grave concerns about that child sometimes. Today she got an invitation to a party at a house we haven't been to before.
"I went there before I was born," she announced, "when I was a baby koala."
"You were a baby koala?"
"Actually," she said (that being the current favourite word), "did you know, we were all baby koalas before we were born. You were a baby koala before you were born, Jessie was a baby koala before she was born..." and so on through most of the extended family. Where the hell does that come from???

On the knitting front I'm been racing through things lately. The raglan sleeved pink jersey worked and, what's more, fitted. I doubt that the makers of Excel intended that it be used for graphing sweaters, but gee it works well! So I've started another, but I couldn't be bothered doing a proper swatch (when will I learn) and I'm using the wrong sized needles for the wool (when will I learn), so we'll have to wait and see... I've done the front, back and three quarters of one sleeve so it won't be long.


I knitted a hat to go with the pink jumper and made my first pompom for about twenty-five years. It looked great for a few days and then disintegrated (the pompom, not the hat) on the way to kindergarten on Friday. Must practice more...

No comments: